AYTE Student Play Festival 2022
The Student Play Festival is designed for student performance groups to present one-act straight plays (non-musicals) for adjudicators and audiences.
The festival will be held at the Beck Field House on the Gadsden State Community College Campus in Gadsden, AL. The Beck Field House is a newly renovated large (air conditioned) gymnasium. We will get the "stage area" dimensions to you very soon!
Group/Company Registration - $100 per group
Student Cast and Crew Members are $10 per participant.
Additional Saturday tickets - $15 per person
Each registered group/company receives 2 Complimentary Passes
Payment is due July 15th.
Being the first year, we want to keep everything super simple and easy for the directors and groups. Please read over the rules and guidelines and if you have any questions, please feel free to email Santana at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sign up forms are now available!
Rules and Guidelines:
- All participants (actors and tech) must be K-12. Students that graduated high school in May 2022 may also participate. Adults may only assist in loading/unloading of scenery.
- Each company is allowed 90 mins of load in and rehearsal time on Friday, July 15th. Your scenery, props, and costumes must be limited to a 5x5 box. Students must be capable of setting up their own show during their 10 mins of set up and breaking down during their 10 mins of break down. If students are not capable of setting up without adult supervision, your set is too big.
- Space is limited "backstage". Scenery is limited to small necessary pieces only. Chairs, tables, and other similar small pieces are acceptable. You will not be allowed to bring in large, full scale pieces. All set pieces/props must fit through a 6'x7' doorway.
- Each company is required to send in a photo of their finished set design by July 8th for approval. If the theater manager feels that your set is too large, you will be asked to alter it to fit the guidelines.
- All shows must be 60 mins or shorter. Shows must be straight plays or plays with some music. *If you are not sure if your show is considered a musical or a play with music, email Santana.* All shows must be licensed through a legitimate licensing company and each group will be required to provide proof of licensing contract.
- The host theater/campus requires that no use of confetti, snow, glitter, loose feathers, or other small particles that are difficult to clean up may be used at any time. Pyrotechnics/open flames/fog or smoke machines are not allowed.
- All participating groups must be residents of the state of Alabama. Performers may not participate in other companies during the festival.
- Lights are basic up/down. No lighting specials or colors will be allowed and no spotlights are offered. Companies may not bring in their own spot lights.
- Companies must provide their own light and sound board operators. No adults are allowed to perform these duties unless in case of emergency. Students are asked to fill these roles. If you do not have a student to operate your boards, points will be deducted from your score.
- No special sound or lighting equipment can be brought in and/or connected to the host theater system. A host theater technician will be available to help the student operators troubleshoot.
- No part of your set may be attached to the floor, curtains, drapes, or other existing equipment of the host theater.
- Students will receive feedback after their performance by the appointed adjudicators. Students, adults, and directors are asked not to socialize with adjudicators before, during, or after performances. Doing so will result in a loss of points.
- All students (crew and actors) must be volunteer participants. No one should be union/paid actors or crew.
- Props must be safe for all students and crew. No real weapons, flames, or sharp objects may be used. No one under the age of 5 may be used as a prop or cast member.
- Costumes must be appropriate for all audiences. No vulgarity, offensive wording, or racist graphics may be used. Nudity and/or large lack of clothing is not allowed.
- This festival is designed for students - Please be mindful of the content when choosing your piece and direction. Shows that are designed for "mature" high school students and/or rated PG13 are allowed, but will be presented with a warning notice before the play begins. Shows that are designed for college/adult audiences with heavy or extreme content will not be allowed. We encourage you to seek approval for your show choice before the festival.